"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
Walt Disney

Monday, October 20, 2008

WE DID IT!!!!!!




On Saturday my Procast soccer team took 1st place!!!! Our team made it to the top four out of twenty teams. The season was so fun and totally crazy. I think I take after my mom when it comes to “cheering” my team on. All the teams pretty much knew me as the “Gringa” who screams all the time. I don’t think I was prepared for the drama that came with coaching a men’s soccer team. They fought with each other more than any girls I have ever seen. The hard part was that I had no idea what they were saying. I could only recognize some swear words every now and then. The only thing that matters is that they pulled together this Saturday for a double header. Our first game was at 11:00 and believe me that is early for the guys. I have to be pretty proud that they show up even though they are still nursing a hangover. The first team we were playing is a team we have struggled with all season and I was extremely nervous. The other team scored early in the first half and my guys took it pretty hard, but they played their best game ever. I was trying to remain calm and positive throughout the game but it wasn’t looking good. With two minutes left in the second half we scored a goal to put us in a tie. We all went crazy. We went straight into penalties (which I hate). I picked the five that I felt most confident in. We shot first and made it. They made their first shot but missed their second and third. We never missed one. We were in the play offs playing for first or second! Our final game was at 5:30 that night. I told everyone to go home, sleep and eat some pasta. I’m pretty sure they went home sat on their couches and drank beer. Our final game started late and we were playing a team that we have always won so I was a little nervous that my team was going to get over confident. We scored a quick first and second goal in the first half, but they answered back with a goal in the second. I was freaking out. They only needed to score one goal and we would tie. With ten minutes left we scored our third to clench the first place position. I can’t say enough how proud I am of the team. I had so much fun and can’t wait for next season.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

So, um, how exactly do you coach a team when you don't speak their language? I'm very familiar with the "cheering" that comes from your family, but that only goes so far. How exactly do you "coach"? Do you have a translator? And how on earth did you get wrangled into being the coach of a Mexican mens soccer team? Fantastic!

Brittany said...

Wow! way to go that sounded pretty intense. I heard stories from your Mom about twisting your knee, to the boys making you cry, etc. way to hang in there and you still want to do it again. Everyone needs to have a Shelby on their team, glad you take after her :)

Lindsay said...

Time for a new post Dev. Blog slacker. :)

jennykas said...

Devy-
Trying to get ahold of you for my Christmas visit. Can you call or email me or nicole? Would love to see you over Christmas.